to get there:
|Surrounded by forests on the slopes of Mount Pizzuto, Roccantica has a medieval castle and several churches dating from different periods. It is also a good starting point for a walk in the mountains. Here is an itinerary of the monuments of Roccantica.|
Fortifications : The defensive and watchtower is square shaped, on top
of a triple ring of stone walls. The first ring has still visible buttresses,
the second, three gateways -"il Portone" (or Porta Reatina -the
main door), Porta Nuova and Porta dell Arco. This ring also has a tower
and is in large part intact. The third ring has been incorporated into the
structure of some houses, although once it included Porta Romana which later
became the renaissance gateway known as Le Colonne.
Church of St.Valentino: This church already existed in 792, and is cited in a document of 870. Rebuilt around 1300, partially demolished in 1932, and now a war monument. It had five chapels, dedicated to St. Lorenzo, St. Lucia, St. Annunziata, St. Pietro and Paolo, and St. Nicola. Frescos (fifteenth century) of Pope Urbano V, Madonna enthroned, St. Cristoforo and Madonna with angels.
Church of St. Maria Assunta in Cielo: (Parish church). Built in 1740 over an existing church. The baptismal font of 1516 and a 1561 painting by B. Torresani come from the Church of St. Valentino. Other works by S. Conca (1680-1764), S. Pozzi (1708-1768), A. Mattei (1720-1768).
Church of St. Caterina dAlessandria: Nobiliatry chapel built by Governor Armellao de Bastoni, around 1432. The walls are completely frescoed by Pietro Coleberti da Priverno (1/6/1430) with the Legend di St. Caterina. The altar is the work of a follower of Giovanni di Pietro (lo Spagna).
Castle -Monastery of the "Clarisse" -Church of St. Chiara: The monastery was built in 1583 on the remains of a castle and an area donated by Maddalena Ferraguti at the insistence of Flaminia della Rovere (widow of Paolo Orsini). It is now a private house.
Roman Seminary: Built by Orsino Orsini in 1454 as a monastery for Reform Franciscans (St. Antonio da Padova). Angelo Roncalli later to become Pope Giovanni XXIII .
Church of St. Giuseppe: Built from 1690 to 1696 by marquis Giuseppe Vincentini to plans by Francesco Fontana. Rich in precious marbles, it has an antique organ and a painting of the Cortonesque school.
Church of Piedirocca: Sanctuary with a holy image of Madonna and Child. Every native of Roccantica, wherever they are in the world, tries to return home for the Festival dedicated to the Madonna (second sunday of september).
Hermitage of St. Leonardo: A natural cave in a place of wild beauty, once a Benedictine hermitage. Parts of the encircling wall remain, as do some monks cells, an alter with traces of frescoes, an oven and a well, also frescoes by Jacopo da Roccantica (St. Leonardo and St. Caterina). Further down are the remains of a water mill.
Fonteregna: Freshwater spring at an altitude of 880 m. surrounded by ancient woodland.
Monte Pizzuto: Highest peak of the Sabina -1288m, wonderful view.
Thanks to the Comune of Roccantica for providing the text.
HOME SABINA ONLINE
Places to visit - Events - How to get here - Map
History - Gastronomy - Geography - Traditions
Villages of the Sabina - Schools - Useful numbers
"The Farfa from Farfa" - Links
site produced for Fabaris srl.
© 2000 Fabaris, all rights reserved