|- S.Pietro ai Muricento at Montebuono|
to get there:
For the moment, the Romanesque Itinerary can only be visited by appointment, to book call:
Wall in:"opus reticolatum"
In the 15th century San Pietro was still the main church of Montebuono, as attested by numerous legacies and the important series of wallpaintings. These were executed by Jacopo of Roccantíca, a pupil of Ottaviano Nelli, although no longer fully visible today they still decorate the apse, where one can see a remarkable Last Judgement, and part of the right nave. According to a cartouche under the nativity scene the Sabine painter was commissioned to carry out the work by the «bone done de Montebonu» (the good women of Montebuono). After the council of Trento, the parish functions were transferred to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, constructed withín the castello, probably in 1408, near the palazzo comunale, while San Pietro continued to function as the cemetery church. The beautiful bell tower is detached from the church and was originally several storeys higher.
Territorio dell'Agro Foronovano Sabino-Umbro
Provincia di Rieti Provincia di Terni
ROMANESQUE ITINERARY -VESCOVIO, TARANO, MONTEBUONO, FIANELLO, CALVI DELL'UMBRIA
Texts Tersilio Leggio -Direttore del Museo di Farfa
versione inglese Helen Patterson Assistant Director (Archaeology) The British School at Rome
Giovanna Alvino Soprintendenza Archeologica del Lazio
Mariasanta Valenti Soprintendenza Beni Ambientali e Architettonici del Lazio
Claudio Blasetti Soprintendenza Beni Ambientali e Architettonici del Lazio
Alia Englen Soprintendenza Beni Artistici e Storici del Lazio
Regione Lazio Consorzio dei Comuni dell'Agro Foronovano
Banca di Credito Cooperativo di Roma
Gruppo Cassa Rurale ed Artigiana di Roma
HOME SABINA ONLINE
Places to visit - Events - How to get here - Map
History - Gastronomy - Geography - Traditions
Villages of the Sabina - Schools - Useful numbers
"The Farfa from Farfa" - Links
site produced for Fabaris srl.
© 2000 Fabaris, all rights reserved