back to Villages of the Sabina

home

Torri in Sabina

Altitude 275 mt.
Population: 1200

Useful numbers:

  • comune............. 0765 62004
  • pro loco............. 0765 62473
  • carabinieri.......... 0765 62001
  • post office.......... 0765 62007
  • pharmacy........... 0765 62440

Brief historical background of Torri in Sabina:
The castle of Torri is not documented until fairly late, although the castle probably dates from the last half of the thirteenth century. At the middle of the fourteenth century it was directly controlled by the Holy See. Pope Urban V granted feudal rights over the castle to Buccio e Francesco, sons of Giordano Orsini. The Orsini family built a palace there which they frequently resided in. In 1477 the castles of Torri, Roccantica, Selci and Castiglione were assigned to Cardinale Catino Orsini.

In 1596 lo State of Torri lost Selci and Castiglione, sequestered the congregation of barons for non payment of taxes. The State of Torri ended in 1698, at the death of the last of the direct line, Flavio Orsini. His widow, Anna della Trèmouille managed to keep the Feud for her lifetime and after her death in 1728, Torri passed under the direct control of the Holy See. In November 1817, following a decree by Cardinal Consalvi which sanctioned the reordering of the Province of Sabina into the districts of Rieti and Poggio Mirteto, Torri, with its 952 inhabitants were included in the territory of Calvi and had as its dependants Montasola, Rocchette with Rocchettine and Vacone.

Rocchette and Rocchettine
In terms of the of the landscape, Rocchette and Rocchettine are situated in what must be one of the most beautiful parts of the Sabina, a deep rocky gorge carved out by the River Laia. The two fortified villages, the first still inhabited and the second recently abandoned, dominate opposite sides of the gorge.

The first documentation of these settlements comes in the late medieval period, when they were called Rocca Bertalda and Rocca Guidonesca respectively, but it is unknown who the founders were or exactly when and how the villages developed.

Both fortresses, whose histories are parallel, were at first owned by the Bishop of the Sabina and then passed under the control of the Holy See. At the end of the fourteenth century they were occupied by the Savelli, then very briefly by the Orsini at the beginning of the sixteenth century before returning to the Holy See.


Many thanks to Sig. Alessio Bonifazi, President of the "Agro Foronovano" for the text.

To visit:
Sanctuary of S.Maria in Vescovio, former cathederal of the Sabina

Sanctuary of S.Maria in Vescovio

Rocchette and Rocchettine
Rocchette

Events: 
Infiorata del Corpus Domini (may)
Sagra del Prosciutto (july)




HOME SABINA ONLINE

Places to visit - Events - How to get here - Map
History - Gastronomy - Geography - Traditions
Villages of the Sabina - Schools - Useful numbers
"The Farfa from Farfa" - Links

email: info@fabaris.it

site produced for Fabaris srl.
© 2000 Fabaris, all rights reserved