back to Villages of the Sabina



Altitude 325 mt.
Population: 900

Useful numbers:

  • comune............. 0765 607631
  • pro loco............. 0765 607466
  • post office.......... 0765 607056
  • pharmacy.......... 0765 607133

Brief historical background of Montebuono:
Montebuono and its surroundings constitute an area rich in cultural landmarks, the most important of which is probably the church of S. Pietro ai Muricenti, first documented in 1105. The original structure of the church was built around a Roman villa called "Agrippas baths" because of an archaeological fragment found among the ruins which mentions the Roman general Marco Vipsanio Agrippa, son of the Emperor Augustus. Whether it really belonged to Agrippa or not, at a certain point it passed into the hands of the Licini family, as is testified by some documents in the Abbey of Farfa which, in 998, mention a "Fundus Licinianus".

S. Pietro remained a reference point for the local population until the foundation of Montebuono, which probably occurred around the end of the thirteenth century, when it was thought important to unite the population for defensive reasons. The castle of Montebuono was, for a brief period during the fourteenth century, part of the Committee of Tarano.

On the cusp of the century it was attacked and occupied by Luca Savelli who was then forced to hand it back over to the Holy See. During the fifteenth century S. Pietro was still the principle church of Montebuono; following the Council of Trent the status of parish church was transferred to the church of S. Maria Assunta, built within the walls of the castle around 1408, while S. Pietro retained the function of a cemetery church.

There have been a large number of archaeological finds in the area of Fianello -inclduing mosaics, bas-reliefs and sculptures. During archaeological excavations some very interesting material was recovered, which is now in the National Museum.

The castle of Fianello is first documented in the eleventh century when Berlengario Di Pietro ceded his portion of the castle to the Abbey of Farfa. In the fourteenth century Fianello rebelled against the Papacy and the area was sacked in 1352. In 1817 the 146 inhabitants of Fianello joined the territory of Montebuono.

Many thanks to Sig. Alessio Bonifazi, President of the "Agro Foronovano" for the text.

To visit:
Church of S.Pietro ad centum muros (Romanesque church surrounded by the remains of a roman villa)

Church of S. Maria Assunta at Fianello

Festa della trebiatura (grain threshing)
Festa di S. Vincenzo Ferreri patron (may)
The Roman Sculptures of Fianello
, by Don Enzo Cherchi


Places to visit - Events - How to get here - Map
History - Gastronomy - Geography - Traditions
Villages of the Sabina - Schools - Useful numbers
"The Farfa from Farfa" - Links


site produced for Fabaris srl.
© 2000 Fabaris, all rights reserved