back to Villages of the Sabina

home

Mompeo

Altitude 457 mt.
Population: 600

Useful numbers:

  • comune............. 0765 469020
  • pro loco............. 0765 329128
  • post office.......... 0765 469033
  • pharmacy........... 0765 469117

Brief historical background of Mompeo:
"Chiesola" chapel, built in 1668According to tradition Mompeo was founded in the place where a Roman general, Gneo Pompeo, built a residential villa, giving his name to the area. This isn't the only reminder of the Roman presence in the area, in this part of the Farfa valley there are several Roman funerary monuments, the remains of villas and a Roman bridge over the River Farfa.

After Roman times, the first documentation about Mompeo comes in 817 AD. in the "Regesto Farfense" (the register kept by Farfa Abbey), where a Fundum Pompeianum is mentioned as belonging to the Abbey. Shortly after, in 875, the Abbot Giovanni conferred feudal rights to the territory to a certain Francone, who built a fortress on the hill on what is now the centre of Mompeo.

From the middle of the tenth century, after the Saracen invasions which had brought much upheaval to the Sabina and led to the abandonment of the Abbey, the feudal rights passed to the brothers Gaderisio and Ottaviano di Buza. In the twelfth century the feudal lord of Mompeo was Simeotto Orsini, founder of a long lived and powerful dynasty which gave prestige to the area around Mompeo for five centuries, until the 1635 when the area passed to the Marchesi Capponi of Florence.

In 1646 Mompeo passed to the Marchesi Naro of Rome, under whose protection Mompeo flourished. It was during this period that several palaces -most notably the Palazzo Baronale Orsini-Naro- and the parish church of "NativitÓ di Maria Santissima" were built, as well as the gateway to the town. The friendship of Fabrizio and Bernardino Naro with Pope Urban VIII, contributed to this, and their attachment to Mompeo is demonstrated by the fact both asked for their hearts to be buried in the parish church, though the actual tombs are in the Basilica of S. Maria sopra Minerva in Rome.

The Naro family remained in control of Mompeo until the middle of the eighteenth century, when it passed successively to the Patrizi, the Luciani, the Ciufici, the Baranello and the Di Salvo families. Since 1995 the Baronial palace has belonged to the Comune di Mompeo.

Thanks to the Comune di Mompeo for the text.
Translated by Kate Prandy

To visit:

Roman Archeological sites around Mompeo
Palazzo Baronale Orsini-Naro
Parish church of "Natività di Maria Santissima"

 

Events:

Sabina International Short Films Festival - Mompeo - Last edition 14-21 July 2007 - visit their new website

Festival of St. Antonio (17 january)
Festival of St. Rita and Mary (31 May)
Festival of St. Egidio Abate and St. Vincenzo Ferreri (last week of August)
Festival of the Madonna Immacolata (8 september)
Festival of the Madonna of the Rosary (first sunday of october)
Festival St. Cecilia (22 november)


Sabina International Short Film Festival
Sabina International Short Film Festival
Nanni Loy Prize

Mompeo




HOME SABINA ONLINE

Places to visit - Events - How to get here - Map
History - Gastronomy - Geography - Traditions
Villages of the Sabina - Schools - Useful numbers
"The Farfa from Farfa" - Links

email: info@fabaris.it

site produced for Fabaris srl.
© 2000 Fabaris, all rights reserved